Jess' Adventures in Brazil

Monday, July 03, 2006

Meetings, Futebol and Canada Day

Meetings:

This was the week of meetings. Steering Team. Education. Executive Board. It’s been busy!

On Friday I stayed home in the morning to make Nanaimo Bars for Canada Day. And I’m pleased to say they turned out really well!! And it was a nice break from measuring Key Performance Indicators ;)

On Saturday morning we had an EB meeting at Super’s house. It was supposed to start at 9:00am. Everyone was there…. Except Diogo! Haha, but we made some pancakes and just hung out until the meeting got underway (at 11:00). A quick Churrasco decided that I would be doing the meeting minutes :P.

Futebol

The Good the Bad and the Ugly:

The good: After the EB meeting we met up with some other @ers and went to a bar to watch the Brazil-France game. It was set up by Benoit, the French trainee, and we all got in free if we were supposedly sheering for France ;) They wanted to put him on TV as representing the French fans. Everyone was really excited and the green and yellow was almost blinding (and the noise almost deafening!)

Cheering for France, Gasp! Benoit (French) and Alexandra (Swiss)

The bad: Brazil lost. A lot of people looked really crushed. Honestly France played better, and deserved the win. But it was still disappointing. The fever is over. A lot of people came over and congratulated Benoit and wished his team luck, which was really nice.

The ugly: A couple people took the game a little too seriously, and after the game two guys started yelling at Benoit. A few plastic trumpets were thrown and then a few minutes later a fight broke out, between two Brazilians. Daniel, one of the former LCPs for @USP, kept telling me not to worry, but I wasn’t really. The @ers were all really embarrassed at the display and kept telling me that only the stupid people get carried away, which is true. 95% of the people were totally fine.

And now... the bright plastic trumpets fall silent

Funny side note: At the bar we ran into an American and when she found out I was Canadian she asked me “Hey, do you know how to play Eukre?” which I thought was pretty hilarious.

Canada Day

Last night I had my Canada Day party, which was really more of a get together than a party. I was hoping for a bigger turnout, but we had about 15 people there. I made pancakes and maple syrup, then we ordered some pizza as well. One of them was tuna! On pizza! But the @ers told me this was very normal… Go figure. After the pizza we had the Nanaimo Bars, which were very popular :) Then we listened to some Canadian music, including some Arrogant Worms, which everyone liked. And then I talked for a little while about Canada, and they asked me questions. Some of the questions were really good, like why didn’t Canada join with the US when the US went independent? And why do we have territories and how are they different from provinces? How is Canada affected by terrorism? I missed the last subway back home, so I stayed the night at the MC house with Barbara, one of the new MCVP LC Coaches.

Yay Canada Day!
Judy, Koba, Rubinho, Rubens, Alexandra

Mmmm... Nanaimo Bars

Upcoming: Next weekend in the LC Planning, which will be really intense. I am doing double duty as a faci (facilitator) so I have to prepare sessions as a member of the steering team and the EB. So this week will be a lot of time on the computer and on AIESEC.net. But I’m learning a lot through this process and I’m really hoping we can develop a strong year plan for the LC. Plus it will be really cool to have everyone together for the weekend, since it’s so rare for us all to be together.

6 Comments:

  • In a organization that wants peace, to fight for such a dull motive is really sad.

    By Blogger Sergio Schuler, at 11:28 a.m.  

  • Those Nanaimo Bars looked good. Have you noticed when you're not talking about food you are in a bar somewhere? Have you tried to speak much French? Now you have to cheer for the Malaspina Ancient Mariners. Love ya

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:30 p.m.  

  • To Mom: Am not! And in any case it is very common for Brazilians to go sit and talk in a bar/restaurant. And no, I haven't been speaking French, I'm having enough problems with portuguese :P

    To Igor: I don't think many other countries can challenge Brazil ;) And yes, I ate some of the Nanaimo Bars. I don't really like the coconut, but otherwise they were good. My job eh? Suuuuure. ;)

    By Blogger Jess, at 6:09 p.m.  

  • Jess

    I really enjoyed the Canada Day!! It was very nice to learn about your country (Canada is really big!! hehehe)!!
    The Nanaimo Bars were wonderful!!
    And the songs were so funny!! (I want them... can you send it??)

    Ah... I've found this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWDXE9Pbjic
    Hope you enjoy it! ;)

    See you in the USP plan (I'm going there on monday)

    Beijos!

    and... you're welcome here at our house whenever you want! ;)

    By Blogger Bárbara, at 10:51 p.m.  

  • I've found another video...

    "Canada is really big"

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGYwaHMbAEs

    hehehe ;)

    By Blogger Bárbara, at 11:40 p.m.  

  • Heya Jess,

    glad to see that you are having a good time and being a good Canadian and making something really Canadian. Nata (our Canadian trainee) made a Tirmaisu and we used red sugar writing to draw a canadian flag on top of it, it was really funny and didnt look like a Canadian flag at all...haha...we tried though!

    How much longer will you stay in Brazil? I wish I could come and visit you guys. *sigh* Instead I might have to go to the hospital...eek, I am getting old haha!!!

    Big hug and I hope to see you again one day in the close future!

    Love,

    JEN :)

    By Blogger Kimchi, at 6:15 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home