Jess' Adventures in Brazil

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Recycling!

Ok this is getting a bit ridiculous? Haha. Well in my denfense, the previous three posts were written two days ago, but not uploaded. This one is actually in real time. ;) Still... I think my readers will be ready to stangle me soon..... *runs away*

Yesterday I arrived in the office and discovered an email from of the directors of the recyling project I have mentioned before (I think). If you want to read about it, you can go here: http://www.geog.uvic.ca/pswm/

The director, Angela, said she was going to the project office that day and invited me to go with her. So I gave her a call saying I was interested. After sending some frantic urgent emails, I was picked up from USP by her daughter. I am still constantly amazed at Brazilian generosity. Her daughter came all the way to pick me up and then where we got to her house they gave me lunch and chocolate! Her daughter invited me to go see one of her plays (she's an actress) and asked me if I would like to be her conversation buddy, so she could practice english and I could practice portuguese. I, of course, was very interested!

Then Angela drove me to the university of Santo André. She told me a bit about the project and what stage they are currently on. Her english was pretty good, but not quite good enough to allow me to ask very in depth questions. Angela had a meeting, so I was left with Elza, who actually speaks less english than I speak portuguese! So that was intertesting. She showed me around the campus. She studies biology so she took me to see the animals they had there, including mice, tortoises and ..... HUGE spiders.

I came back to São Paulo with Elza, by bus, train and subway. I didn't even know there was a train!

I have a bit better understanding now of the project, and they invited me to come to on of their meetings with the catadores [recyclers] sometime. It seems like a really great project, and I like the approach that they are taking. Instead of just teaching and organizing, they are also focusing on building personal identity and self esteem amongst the catadores. I will be looking into this some more!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home