Jess' Adventures in Brazil

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Missing Home

OMG a third post. Ya, ya, I know. I like having different things divided up. Like my food.

Anyways, I’ve just been doing some thinking. I’m not sure I’ll actually post this, we’ll see. This is not really what this blog is intended for.

Today was the first day I felt really home sick. Honestly. Even when I was having problems before, it wasn’t that I wanted to go home, but I wanted to be able to live better here. But today, I think three things hit me.

One, Rita left. I’ve been spending so much time with her and I think she and I kept each other grounded. We provided each other with a connection to home and we are both here for the same thing. I think being able to hang out with her was a really big boost for me.

Two, I talked to my Mom on the phone. Granted we were talking about courses, which isn’t the world’s most fun topic, but it was the first time I talked to home since I first arrived. And, to be honest, I was grateful for the chance just to talk. I don’t have to worry about speaking clearly or being politically correct (or AIESECly correct I suppose). I can just be me. Whoever that is.

Three, I watched Igor’s CEED presentation again. I saw all the pictures of AIESEC Vic. Geeez, I love the atmosphere when I’m with you guys. It’s so special, and it can never be duplicated. AIESEC Vic is where my heart lies. I realized today how often I have been thinking to myself “oh, I can’t wait to tell my @ers about this” and “ohhh, that will be a great picture for my CEED presentation” and “Oh, when I get back I’m gonna cook this for the @ers”. Seriously. I really want to make that kind of connection here too. The AIESECers here are definitely my friends, but we don’t have that collective identity. Not like AIESEC Vic. I don’t know how to capture it, or exactly what it is. It’s magic.

And now, after writing that, I feel inspired to try to bring some magic to AIESEC USP. Not Vic magic though. I don't think it can ever be duplicated, and I wouldnt even try. AIESEC USP has to find it's own magic....

3 Comments:

  • It was really nice talkng to you too. We allmiss you lots.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:47 p.m.  

  • I'll second that. It's really not the same at all here in Vic this summer with you guys gone. I'm writing you a letter this weekend and I'll send out pics with it. Hopefully that'll help a bit with the homesickness. Bonnie is over for dinner tonight and says hi. We both miss you. Take care

    -Chris.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:57 p.m.  

  • aahh... we miss you too jess! can't wait til you come back in september! :)

    By Blogger emil, at 4:58 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home