Jess' Adventures in Brazil

Friday, March 10, 2006

The Beginning

Yesterday I recieved an e-mail which said I had been accepted into the CIDA CEED program through AIESEC and that I will be travelling to Brazil this summer on an exchange. I was so excited I ran across campus to tell the other AIESECers and continued to jump up and down for the entire day! (just ask my roommates...)

I am really honoured that I will have this oppoutunity and I am so excited!!

For those of you who don't know me, I am a third year anthropology student at the Universiry of Victoria. I joined AIESEC in Sept 2004, and have since become and AIESEC addict. This past year I was the vice president of member development and I was on the organizing comittee (OC) for Coastal Conference, a 3-day conference for AIESEC UVic, SFU and UBC. Now, I am the vice president of Logistics for our Global Village that will happen in October of this year. I have been to 5 AIESEC Conferences and I will be going to two more in May!

AIESEC has really had an impact on me. Through AIESEC I have made some of my very best friends and met some truly amazing people from all over the world. I have been enriched through this experience and I still have a lot to learn.

I really wanted to participate in this CEED program because I have always wanted to experience living in a different culture and South America has always interested me. I have done a bit of travelling before, to the Carribbean, Egypt, England, the US... but I never felt I got as much out of the trip as I wanted to. Especially in Egypt, I felt trapped in the role of tourist. I wanted to learn about the people and the culture and the history, but all I could see was the "tourist" spots. I realized that just travelling and visiting a place is not enough. One must live there to truly understand and experience it.

Outside of AIESEC, I'm really interested in archeology and paleoanthropology. I also have a passion for environmental studies and I've worked for the past two summers in the field of environmental education. Brazil is currently a world leader in environmental innovation and I'm really excited about learning more about it.

As of right now, I don't know any Portugese. I speak fluent english and a little bit of French. However, I have asked Igor, our CEEDer from Brazil in AIESEC Victoria to teach me a little, and I will try to learn some on my own. I am a pretty fast learner, so I'm hoping to be able to pick up at least the basics fairly quickly. I definetly want to learn. I'm very jeaulous of all my multi-lingual friends.

I have been in touch with the two other Canadians who were selected to go to Brazil, but to differet cities. One is from AIESEC Edmonton and another from AIESEC Toronto. I'm really looking foward to talking to them more and seeing them in Toronto for our training in two weeks. I also need to get in contact with my host LC in Sao Paulo and the Brazillian MC.

The purpose of this blog is to record my experiences as a CEEDer in Brazil. It will be open to anyone who wishes to read it. Please feel free to post comments and ask questions. I don't know yet what will happen, but I'm eager to find out!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home